Thursday, April 6, 2006

National Fun at Work Day, Tartan Day, National Caramel Popcorn Day, Sorry Charlie Day, April 6th


National Fun at Work Day

Apparently, this is not the week to be productive at work since Monday was Don't Go To Work Unless It's Fun Day, and National Workplace Napping Day and today is National Fun at Work Day. I actually will not be at work today. I will be attending an informative training session about Utah's Sunshine Laws. I have a feeling that I will not be near a computer the entire day and I shall be going through withdrawals.

But for those of you who will be at work today, here are some ideas to make your workplace fun, because you must celebrate without me.

Tartan Day

Along with National Fun at Work Day, it is also Tartan Day. Men, get out your kilts. Women get out your tartan shawls and sashes. Be a bit o' Scotch today and wear the plaid. Play your favorite CD of bagpipe music for your hold music on the phone, or elevator music in the elevator, or in the lobby music in the lobby. Put it on repeat for the whole day. Wear plaid socks if you don't own a kilt. Cover your office with plaid crepe paper. Let everyone know that it is Tartan Day!

National Caramel Popcorn Day

If the wearing o'the plaid isn't your thing, you can celebrate National Caramel Popcorn Day. Actually, you can do that today, or tomorrow. There seems to be a bit of a disagreement about which is the true National Caramel Popcorn Day. But, there is nothing wrong with celebrating on both days. Caramel Corn is yummy!

Here is the Best Caramel Popcorn Recipe Ever

7-9 Cups popped popcorn
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
6 Tablespoons Butter
3 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt together and bring to a rolling boil for two minutes. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add vanilla and pour over popcorn, stirring constantly.

If you want crunchy caramel corn, bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until hard, but my favorite way to eat the corn is soft (unbaked).

Sorry Charlie Day

If you don't have a fun day at work today, I guess that you celebrated Sorry Charlie Day. I am sorry (Charlie) that everyone else had fun and you didn't. (Well, to be sure, I probably didn't "have fun" so I can sympathize.)

2 comments:

FoxyJ said...

You really shouldn't do this to me. I've been craving caramel popcorn for a while and now I need to try out that recipe. If it weren't raining so much, I'd run out to the store and get some more corn for my air popper so I could whip up a batch. Maybe tomorrow...

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Today is perfect for caramel corn... but not if you have to deal with the rain. It just wouldn't be as cozy.