Saturday, June 24, 2006

Museum Comes To Life Day, June 24th


Museum Comes To Life Day

This just seems like a way cool day. It feels like it could really happen at the end of Midsummer celebrations. I would like to be in any museum that came to life, even the ones with the scary exhibits. It would just feel like we were in the middle of a movie, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, I could only find one museum that actually claims it comes to life on the proper day, and it's in Oklahoma. But, here is a list of museums in the United States, so I am sure that you will be able to find one to go to today... and just maybe some magic will happen.

Just think about what it would be like at some of the biggest museums...

The British Museum: Now this could be a bit scary. There are mummies at the British Museum. In fact, according to this catalogue there are 8663 different exhibits containing human remains. Imagine if they all came to life; it would be like a living zombie movie.

The American Museum of Natural History: Cool. A real life Jurassic Park-type experience. Just make sure you were hiding well when visiting the Fossil Halls because more than 600 of their exhibits are from real fossils. The Mammal Halls would be cool, but dangerous because of the bears. You don't want to mess with bears. Especially bears that haven't eaten anything for many years.

I would recommend staying far, far away from the Bird Hall, because birds will peck your eyes and ears out, as well as the Hall of Primates, because monkeys are evil. (You don't think so? Just look at all the evil monkey movies: Planet of the Apes, Congo, the evil monkey on Family Guy, and The Wizard of Oz.)

So, we are avoiding the monkeys and birds, but everyone likes beaches and the oceans. Oh, no! Poor ocean life! Over at the Hall of Ocean Life, think of the poor whales flopping around without water!

I wonder what happens when art museums come to life? Do the people walk out of their paintings? Do sculptures move? In the Bargello, would Donatello's David take off his hat? And would we really want that, because then the poor boy would be standing there naked! And, can anyone even begin to comprehend what the Louvre would be like if it came to life?

If those things happen, I want to be in a modern art museum. I would like to see a cubist figure walk around in the third dimension. I sense that like it would walk like a dancer.

I love the San Francisco MoMA, but I probably would be quite disturbed if their furniture exhibits came to life. I think that would give me nightmares, and I would have to defurniturize my apartment, my office, my friends' homes.

Sigh. I guess it's a good thing only one museum is celebrating today.

(This post is dedicated to OMSI, the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, the museum that made museums come to life when I was an imaginative child.)

1 comment:

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Maybe it would be like The Garden of Live Flowers in Through the Looking Glass and all the plants will talk...