Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day, May 29th


Memorial Day 2006

I had decided not to post about Memorial Day, because all of my attempts were coming out a bit anti-war, which I felt was not the best way to honor those who have given their lives for and served this country. According to this site we have lost 1,264,826 Americans in war up to the Persian Gulf War. Since the War on Terror, we have lost 2,708 more casualties, according to the Washington Post.

To me, Memorial Day is more than a much needed day off, (55 hours is too much work in one week for Ms. Absent, so please forgive any lack of finesse with this post, I'm still recovering) Memorial Day is a time to ponder about the freedoms that have been won and the lives lost in the fight for the "self-evident rights ...that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. " (Declaration of Independence) I believe that this nation was founded on something good, I believe that we will continue to be good as long as we hold ourselves and our leaders to those ideals.

No comments: