Thursday, May 25, 2006

National Tap Dance Day, May 25th


I wish that I was really cultured and could tell you about the finer points of tap dancing. The truth of the matter is, I don't really get tap dancing. I think that people who can move their feet that quickly and in a set rhythm are very talented, and should be admired. But, I would never really attend a tap dance concert, for two reasons: one, I doubt that I would ever have a hankering to see tap dance that much, and two, I am pretty sure that I would leave with a headache. Why inflict oneself with a headache? Tap dance is too happy. As I have said before, I prefer my dance performances to be dark, edgy, melancholy, and full of angst, and maybe that is a character flaw, but it's not in the top five of my character flaws, so it probably isn't going to get changed in the next year... or probably ever.

But, to celebrate today, I need to get over myself and ponder the wonders of penguins tap dancing.

4 comments:

FoxyJ said...

I took a tap dancing class when I was little. I don't remember what song we danced to, but we were "pink powder puffs" and got to wear fluffy pink tutus and everything. I liked tap dancing as a kid, but I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much now.

Christian said...

Damn it. I typed up a comment, but then realized it wasn't me signed in here.

Anyway, I think I said something like it's always fun to make noise with your feet.

And another way you can celebrate today is by watching The Producers. There's a tap dance number or two in there.

Th. said...

.

Tap....

I love tap more than....

Anyway, but we're on the outs.

I took a tap class and our relationship still hasn't quite recovered....

Alas....

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Foxyj: I bet you were a cute tap dancing kiddie in pink powder puffs.

Edgy: Do you have another identity?

th.: Sorry, I hope that you can find your relationship again with tap. :)