Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My Bucket's Got A Hole In It Day, Water a Flower Day, May 30th


My Bucket's Got A Hole In It Day

When I was a little girl, and I was the favorite granddaughter, (because I was the only granddaughter until I was 12 years old) I used to go on road trips with my grandpa and his wife. Often, he would start to sing a song, like "There Is A Hole in the Bottom of the Sea" or "Froggie Went A Courtin'" or "There's a Hole in the Bucket". I adored it when he sang, but his wife would always stop him before he reached the end of the song. Because of her interference, I had no idea that these songs were as long as they are. Kinda cool to look and see that there are a kagillion verses.

Anyway, that's just what I thought of first when I saw that today is My Bucket's Got A Hole In It Day. But, after further investigation this day has its own song: My Bucket's Got A Hole In It Day. My guess is that it is a country song because the singer is "waiting for a woman" and "can't buy no beer."

Water a Flower Day

And when is it easier to water a flower than when you have a hole in your bucket?

3 comments:

Tolkien Boy said...

Wonderful! Now I will be singing Froggie Went a'Courtin' all day. A great song, half of whose verses I make up.

And since I'm I'm a little racy at heart...

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

If I hear you singing I will tell you that you remind me of my grandpa... He sang racy songs too. There was one he sang about Minnie the Mermaid... which I just recently looked up and realized that he probably learned it in the Navy, and it might be part of the reason my step-gramma always made him stop singing.

Th. said...

.

Yes.

I like these songs because then I can just make up my own verses ad infinitum.

(Favorite: Father's Old Gray Whiskers)