Monday, March 20, 2006

Act Happy Day, Proposal Day, Rotten Sneaker Day, March 20th


Act Happy Day

Sometimes, don't you just wish you had Dick Van Dyke hanging around, so at critical moments there would always be someone to sing:

If you're feeling cross and bitterish
Don't sit and whine
Think of banana split and licorice
And you'll feel fine
I'm not sure that just thinking about banana split and licorice will make me feel fine, but, there are some merits to acting happy in order to eventually be happy. Just as long as everyone around me doesn't expect this.

Proposal Day

What do you know... google the words "cheesy proposals" and a BYU Magazine is one of the results.

Me, I think that I am going to re-read Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal today. If you join me, remember that this is a satire, and I do not support the eating of babies, of any kind, including veal. Well, I guess I eat eggs. But, they are not quite babies.

Rotten Sneaker Day

Yeach. If you have them, you should throw them out today. If you don't have them, you should read Holes today in honor of Stanley Yelnats, not Stanley the onion-eater, but Stanley the inventor. But, if you don't feel like reading 240 pages of purely delightful prose today, you can watch the movie Holes, which is also quite delightful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMS: I just noticed you have me on the side of the screen as a future blogger. To tell the truth, I have toyed with the idea of a blog, possibly entitled "Studies of the Humoricity of Animals in Literature." But I am confronted by 3 main problems: There's too many prepositional phrases in that title, ll would constantly remind me that humoricity isn't a word, and I don't have the time. Any suggestions?

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

You could refer LL to the book Frindle, which tells a tale of a boy who makes up a word that eventually gets put into the dictionary. And Beyonce made up the word bootylicious for a song, and now it's in a dictionary. So you can just tell her your purpose in blogging is to create a new form of the word humor to be put in the dictionary.

Regarding time, once your blog is so famous and popular from the creation of your new word, you can retire from blogging permanently, like Heather B. Armstrong from Dooce.com.

As for prepositional phrases, I'm really not an editor, or a very talented writer. I am going to resource this question out to Edgy and Fob, editor and writer, because as a title I think the number of p.p.s are fine, but I could be wrong. I am often wrong.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

I meant to say you can retire to blog permanently. See, I just proved I am a bad editor... or that I need to go to bed.

Anonymous said...

I don't know that I've ever wished for Dick Van Dyke to appear when I've felt gloomy. That's probably because he would undoubtedly bring with him his girlfriend, Rosie as well as semi-transparent Rosie that represents original Rosie's happy side or something. It's confusing! And would probably just make me transition from gloomy to pissed off... thus becoming in time a "mean old thing". Hmm. You've gotta give Van Dyke something- he knows his cycles.
Well, almost- it's not exactly smiling that makes you happy, it's activating the muscles used when one smiles. The same can be accomplished by clenching a pencil between your teeth.
As for "humoricity", to AMS I offer congratulations on converting another one. To the blogger formerly known as "B", I must say I visited and laughed and commented. But now I must know if you're going to sharing your blog with any parental units... so I can watch my language... from now on.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Clutching pencils will be my new hobby. At least until Wednesday.

Th. said...

.

Ah Stepford.....I'll have a post about that someday....

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Will you do it in German?