Tuesday, March 7, 2006

And you thought the Name Days were over- Name Tag Day, Unique Name Day, March 7th


Name Tag Day

Today is the day that everyone should wear a name tag. Whether or not you place of employment requires them of you. Of course, you can make up a name if you want. I won't tell.


Unique Name Day

Okay, this is the funniest website that I have seen in a really long time. It is the Utah Baby Namer: An online help for parents looking for that distinctive name that says "I'm a Utah Mormon!" Please, please, please visit this link. You will see treasures like a list of Utah Mormon names, including (not kidding) Abcde, some poor girl-child's name. I wonder how it is pronounced.

I know that there are other cultures that uniquely name their children, but I don't really feel membership of those groups, so I don't feel that I can comment on anything other than my own culture. So, here it is for all the Barbie-Dees, and Golden-Nobles out there, we do love you, we also love to discuss your names. Thanks to you and your creative parents for having them.

And if anyone has a clue as to how to pronounce Abcde, I really would like to know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! that website was making me nauseous. So many letters that shouldn't be next to each other. As for Abcde, it depends on whether the c is pronounced like a k or an s. Probably the latter, because then it sounds like abstinence, without the nence. I bet that's her middle name, though. Abcde Nence McSwarthyson. That kid's gonna have issues.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

What about "Mormon Beauty" what if she isn't? and "Phakelikaydenicia" she is never going to learn how to spell her name. Or "Placentia" are they naming her after the town in California, or are they mis-spelling the afterbirth? And what about "Thankful Flood"?