Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Ash Wednesday, Pig Day, Peanut Butter Lover's Day, March 1st


Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent. It is traditionally celebrated as a day of fasting and abstinence. It is called Ash Wednesday because it always falls on a Wednesday, and Catholics have a cross marked on their heads with blessed ashes on this day.

Ashes are a traditional symbol of penance and death. The day is the first reminder to use the season of Lent as a time of repentance and renewal. A mark on the head is a symbol of ownership and so the cross marked on the heads on Ash Wednesday shows that the worshipers belong to Christ.

Pig Day

Crafts to Make:

* Make pig tails by cutting a pink construction paper circle around and around toward the middle and then taping it onto the back of your pants. Then remember to be careful when you sit down. You wouldn't want to crinkle your tail.
* Make a pig ear head band out of pink construction paper.
* Make pig snouts to wear out of empty toilet tissue rolls covered with pink tissue paper.

Whatever you do, don't play the "This Little Piggy" game. It is not politically correct. Personally, I think she is nuts! Does she think that we are referring to cops? when we play with our toes? And why would she choose frogs as a political neutral to replace piggys. Peter, Paul , and Mary sang about a Big Blue Frog, and that has some definite racial undertones.

Peanut Butter Lover's Day

At Peanutbutterlovers.com you can learn the history of peanut butter, how it's made, how to make it yourself, allergy alerts, Peanut Butter Month facts and fun, and all other sorts of peanutty stuff. If these things are stressing you out... go buy some Reeses.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poll time: Do you prefer the smooth peanut butteriness of reses pieces, or the slightly chunky quality of the peanut butter cups?

B.G. Christensen said...

I've often wondered what Kermit and Miss Piggy's child would look like.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

B.: I like both. The Pieces are good for movies snacks, or in a milkshake or cookie dough, and I much prefer them over M&Ms, unless they are Peanutbutter M&Ms. The Cups are also good for cookie dough, and I have a very passionate love for the inside out Cups, to the point that ordinary Cups cannot fullfill me any more.

Master Fob: I, too, have often wondered about the spawn of Piggy and Frog. Personally, I think that the child needs more Piggy traits, like perhaps her eyes. It looks like a girl-child, she should have Piggy's pretty blue eyes.

Christian said...

Reese's Pieces all the way. But peanut butter itself must be super duper extra chunky.

And how exactly am I supposed to get into an empty toilet tissue roll covered with pink tissue paper so I can wear a pig snout out of it? You confuse me. ;)

And word verification confirms my Lent plans to give up vegetables in that it says I should eat oats. oatezexe

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Does this mean that you are doing the piggy tail too? I can only dare to dream. :)

If I were to make a piggy snout out of an empty toilet paper roll carddboard thing, I would wrap it with pink paper, color two dots on the end, and poke two holes in the end, and thread it with string, or a large cut rubber band. Or I would just hold it up to my nose without an attachment-type-thingy for the photo op.

Anonymous said...

I really don't get peanut butter in candy. (This may be why b is such a connoisseur: Less competition for resources has allowed him to specialize.) But even if I were a Reeses fan, I think seeing the Miss Piggy/ The Frog love child would kill any appetite for candy- or indeed anything that would sustain life in a world that is so degenerate.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Imagine her with Piggy eyes. Then she is bee-u-ti-ful!

Anonymous said...

You're a bad person. You know that.

Anonymous said...

You know, of all the species in the primate family, the rhesus monkey is widely considered to be the worst behaved.Vociferous, roudy, promiscuous. But for those few rhesus monkeys who are able to overcome their primal urges and seek for the divine, a special reward awaits them in the hereafter.

Rhesus Peace

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

*snort*

Christian said...

You misunderstood my concern. A toilet paper roll is too small for me to fit into, despite my anorexic tendencies. Sheesh. What's the good of mocking someone's misplaced modifier if they don't get it?

Anonymous said...

AMS, may I suggest an old roommate's favorite and most annoying comeback in response to edgy's comment? "You're a misplaced modifier!"
No offense, edgy. Unfortunately, being that annoying can be catchy. But, you know, anorexic tendencies might be due to gluten intolerance. It's all those oats you're eating during lent, yeah?
Untreated gluten intolerance also tends to make people irritable. Edgy.
Edgy, I feel your abdominal pain.

Christian said...

Hmm. Perhaps the abdominal pain comes from too many vegetables. Perhaps Lent will be a good thing for me.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Edgy: I misplaced a modifier? I?

Oh, yep. There it is. Yeah, unfortunately, I am not an editor. I never learned how to diagram a sentence. Honestly. Never.

(You are going to have to show me how to do the cross out thing so I can take out "to wear".) (I put the period outside of the quotes on purpose so that I can feel British.)

ll: I have to back Edgy up here, it was a funny joke, I just didn't get it.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Southwest Eggrolls have vegetables in them.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was amusing, but that's not the point. The beauty of the annoying, stupid comeback is that it is adaptable to virtually every situation, whether it is rejoining a comment that was trivial or condemning, clever or insipid.
Nevermind. I'l just drop it and keep an eye on my own modifiers from now on.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Sorry, ll, I now see your point too. I have been a bit... ummm absent-minded lately.